Emmanuel M. Awoonor
If you want to support the good work I'm doing, kindly buy me a coffee. This will go towards paying for the hosting service for this website.
To request a new feature or for clarifications email me at [email protected]
I know we are all panicking and do not have enough answers to this pandemic facing us. I want to encourage you all to stay strong. In this light I created this site to help keep us all updated on what is happening around us daily. Please follow the bare directions of the World Health Organisation (WHO) to stay safe.
- Wash your hands frequenty after touching surfaces
- Avoid handshakes
- Avoid touching your face
- Use your hand stanitiser after touching surfaces
- Cough into your elbow
- Avoid public places unless necessary for example grocery shopping
- If you feel sick (headaches, coughs, heavy breathing), stay at home and call your health authorities
Why did I build this?
When Coronavirus was declared a global pandemic by the WHO (World Health Organisation), I searched the internet for information on how and where the Coronavirus was spreading. I realised all the various sources I could get this information did not offer this in a simple form for me to really understand the data published. I think majority of the developers or agencies providing this information assumed everyone is a data scientist.
The company I work for took a good decision for most employees to work from home. I soon realised I have some free time on my hands after work since I didn't have to commute for work anymore. I built Covid-19 Guru to simplify this information for everyone to consume without needing a technical eye.
Where is the data from?
The data published here is from Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University made available through a REST API built by Mohammed Mustadi. I then crunch this information and group it by continent, country and state or province and present it in a simple and appealing way for the simple eye to consume.
What is new?
27 Apr 2020
- Fixed USA recovery data that wasn't coming in. Since there is no breakdown for this data, it's a lump sum of all recoveries accross several states.
5 Apr 2020
- Released Covid-19 Guru Telegram bot version 1.2
- Fixed errors with heatmap where incoming geo-location data has some null values
30 Mar 2020
- Launch subscription command on Telegram to get hourly or daily updates Covid-19 Guru Bot
26 Mar 2020
- Launch Covid-19 Guru Telegram on LinkedIn. Chat with bot to get updates on a country by entering the name of country with confirmed cases. Covid-19 Guru Bot
23 Mar 2020
- Created Telegram Bot.
- Testing beta version of Telegram Bot with friends and family.
21 Mar 2020
- Added charts to countries for confirmed, deaths, recoveries and active cases.
19 Mar 2020
- Launched Covid-19 Guru to the world. Shared on LinkedIn.
- Took a stub of Coronavirus data from JHU CSSE.
- Added cronjob to santinise the incoming data.
- Added RSS feed reader to get latest news on corovirus from BBC.
- Added cronjob to compare today's data with yesterdays.
- Added basic heatmap.
- Added menus for mobile view.
18 Mar 2020
- Launched Beta version of Covid-19 Guru to friends and family.
- Fixed typos in text.